Job Description: Renewable Energy Engineer
Reports To: General Manager
Location: 620 Ireland Rd, Simcoe ON, N3Y 4K2
Job Type: Full-time position, Monday-Friday
- To keep our emplyees safe we implemented work-from-home procedures and for those working at our locations, we have implemented safe practices including but not limited to social-distancing, hand-washing, hand sanitizer,masks (and face shields as required)
- On a temporary basis employees can work remotely due to COVID-19
Westhill Innovation is a leading designer and supplier of environmentally sustainable composite systems for the Commercial Transportation Industry. We are looking for a reliable and experienced candidate for the position of Solar Energy Systems Engineer. If you have a successful background in solar energy design and implementation, and are looking for both business and personal growth, please apply. The objective is to lead the design, development and testing of mobile solar energy systems to realize commercialization targets with an identified list of potential customers and expand the product design into other industries.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for overall design and development of mobile system integration projects of average complexity/size
- Accountable for overall electrical design; prioritizing quality while meeting deliverable deadlines, monitoring project scope, and adhering to project budgets.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings
- May lead project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Collaborate with project manager to provide status updates, identify additional scope, or request additional resources.
- Review project documentation including client technical and design specifications.
- Support team by checking for accuracy and completeness of project deliverables.
- Support and mentor junior engineers and designers as the business grows.
- Accomplish solutions through application of industry standards and electrical engineering design principles specifically in renewable energy systems, including photovoltaic (PV), Battery Energy Storage.
Systems (BESS) and power systems
- Develop product specifications and recommend engineering or manufacturing methods to achieve solar design objectives.
- Assist in developing proposals with compelling value propositions for would-be clients.
- Attend customer technical discussions
- Create plans for solar energy system development, monitoring, and evaluation activities.
- Provide product education and advice
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time depending on business requirement.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of product and performance requirements, that typically make up a truck trailer
- A self-starter, skilled to navigate engineering design concerns and develop project scope documents, technical reports, cost estimates and project proposals
- Participates and collaborates in a project team setting to engage in creative and critical thought
- Comprehensive understanding of design standards and codes for electrical power systems
- Knowledge of industry standards and electrical engineering design principles
- Knowledge of renewable energy systems, including photovoltaic (PV), Battery Energy Storage Systems
- Knowledge of one-line drawings, elementary and wiring diagrams, equipment specifications (including transformers, MCC, switchgear, substation equipment); power plans, conduit plans, cable schedules, system studies and protective relay settings. Familiar with design and operation of power systems ranging from 480V to 35kV distribution and transmission systems
- Knowledge, interpretation, and application of Canadian Electrical Code, National Electrical Code, and applicable energy codes
- Insight on all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications. Attentive to project scope schedule, budget and delivering a high-quality product
- Excellent understanding of Microsoft Office, Solidworks and AutoCAD is an asset
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Ability to support putting together business cases and business plans is an asset
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree
- Licensed Professional Engineer is an asset but not a requirement.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Electrical / Solar Engineering .
Why Work with us?
Be a partner in decision making and working in a place that values Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging. Help us create the next generation of electric transportation. Move the world to sustainable energy.
- Medical, Drug and Dental coverage
- Social events whenever possible
- Ability to work in an agile organization with a lean start-up mentality – ISO 9001/14001 Certified
- Performance driven organization
- Career Planning and training opportunities
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Vision care